Thursday, March 17, 2011

A Tale of a Whale

I spent the better part of last week out of town. Therefore, I spent the last few days catching up on everything here at home instead of blogging. While I was out of town I spent time with quite a few of my nieces and nephews. I had a conversation with one about Jonah and the whale. After our sweet conversation I couldn't help but think that this child's story provides so much insight for me. It must have been years since I read that story, so I decided to go back and reread the story of Jonah.
Just in case you aren't familiar with the story of Jonah, or want a refresher- this little girl retells it the best, by far!


During this infertility process, I have definitely felt a lot like Jonah. Out of fear, I have ran from Nineveh. There are tests and procedures that I have never wanted to do. I have turned down options that seemed too far fetched, expensive, or uncomfortable. I wanted to stay right where I was, where it was nice and comfortable and I knew what to expect.
When I get into rough waters after running away, God is there to rescue me and provide me a safe place- it just might be in the belly of a whale. Initially, I pray and am so thankful to Him for rescuing me, but after a while, in the belly of the whale is not exactly what I had in mind. I get agitated that His plan is not my plan. Why am I not content with where He has me, I am alive at least? Why is it so hard to see beyond the stomach of the whale, and realize all that He has blessed me with? I have to consciously decide to be thankful for what He has done for me, and look beyond what I don't have. Only then, will I be strong enough to venture out to Nineveh, down the road that is scary and unknown.
One day, I hope to be able to finish the comparison of my life to Jonah's. I want to be able to express how Ferrari and I listened to God and obeyed his instruction. No matter how unchartered the territory is, that we had the faith to do it together!

2 comments:

  1. I love that video! Great post. I have felt some of these things too recently. I'm glad that God is faithful even when we fall short.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have seen that video before and loved it. Just adorable. This was a really good post with some great insights. I have definitely found myself in the belly of that whale before too. Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete